Sunday, April 21, 2013

Lots of Soap Pictures!

As promised, I have a picture of the soap that I cut yesterday but did not have a picture of.  This was the Juniper Breeze soap with an in the pot swirl done in green oxide.  This was the soap that I poured Friday night and managed to make such a mess with.  All things considered, I think it looks fairly nice if I do say so myself.


This second soap is one I did late last night after visiting my partner in the hospital.  I attempted to do another tiger swirl and it was not quite as successful as my first one (at least to me).  As with many of my soaping attempts, it thickened up faster then I would have liked and by the time I got to the top I was sort of slopping it into the mold.  I also noticed that the black in this started to show natural color around the edges and seemed to have some crackle effect to it.  I am not sure if it overheated or what happened.   I might have to post on the forum and ask about it.  I seem to be getting that more since I have been putting the mold inside the box to preserve the tops of the soap.   It may be an effect of that or something else entirely.  This is scented with Blackberry Sage and colored with green oxide and black mica.


This third picture I debated not posting as this soap is sort of a trial for my soap for the swap I am hosting.  I would kind of like to keep what I am doing a surprise, but I know myself well enough to know that I won't be very good at it!  This soap is also my (late again) challenge from the Great Cakes Soapworks week three challenge.  The challenge was to do a mica swirl on the top of a soap, so this is my first attempt at a mica swirl.  The soap is still in the mold and wet, and will likely look rather different after it has gelled, but I wanted to give you a preview picture.


5 comments:

  1. Looking very nice.. I can't wait to try some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. soaps are looking great! If you're having problems with thick trace, consider less palm and more olive. This was suggested to me by Jennifer, and while my soaps are taking their time sweet time to harden while curing, they did remain easier to work with. More olive will also give you a smoother looking soap. Now, you're on time for challenge #4, the final one in the series, if you want to join. I will be making mine tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have been on time for this challenge if I had the inspiration. I need to watch the #4 video, it looks complicated and requires that your soap doesn't thicken too much and such, so I might be in trouble.

      Delete
  3. That crackle effect looks just like what I get with too high heat. Sometimes oxides allow you to see the natural glycerin that is formed when the soapmaking process finishes up. I call them 'glycerin rivers'. You can really see it with titanium dioxide but all matte colors, like oxides, will allow those glycerin rivers to really shine through. The soap looks great though, glycerin rivers and all =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I need to figure out how to insulate but not allow the soap to get too hot then. I do like my soaps gelling, I was guessing that they were overheating since I started putting them in the box. I will see if I can find something lighter to insulate with.

      Delete