Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Drakkar in Blue and White

Well, it was another success.  I made another soap for an order the other day and it came together nicely.  It did start thickening a bit at the end, so it did not come together as smoothly as the Pink Lavender was, but it still came out rather nicely and I am quite pleased with the results.  I think it looks like the clouds moving by across a blue sky.

I made another soap today and hope to get it posted in the next couple days.  This one is a green and white Swirl scented with Eternity.  It came together fairly well also, but more on that when I post the picture ;-)

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Success with Pink Lavender!

After a couple of disappointments, I have had another successful soap. I didn't bother posting my blue soap on a stick that turned out looking very similar to the green soap I posted last time, just with blue instead of green. It was a lumpy, icky mess, but it smells nice and is still usable as long as you don't have to look at it ;-)

Anyways, on to the success story... I wanted to work with a scent I was familiar with, so worked with lavender essential oil, and used titanium dioxide to get the white color that was requested and ruby red micah to get the pink color I was aiming at. I used bentonite clay mixed in the essential oil to help hold the scent of the oil in the soap, as essential oils tend to fade a little more than fragrance oils usually do.

My normal soap base came together well, and I was careful not to over mix, coming to a very light trace before adding the fragrance and mixing it a bit more. The bentonite clay made the soap a bit darker and I was worried I would have trouble getting a decent white with it, but I managed to get one of my best whites yet by adding more titanium dioxide than I normally add and mixing well. I managed to still keep a light trace even after mixing everything, which made me very happy, and it was still pretty light and poured evenly into the mold. I think this was a first for me. Most of the time, by the time I pour I have a thick trace and it is pretty hard to pour, so I was happy with this change.

I let it set overnight and in the morning it was still soft, so let it set most of the afternoon as well before I took it out of the mold and cut it. It was still a bit soft when I cut it, and I waited a bit longer then normal to take pictures because of that reason. I think the fact that I had such a light trace was the reason it was so soft. It is otherwise behaving well and has since hardened up fairly well. So, here is my lavender soap in pink in white, as requested by the customer!