Friday, April 5, 2013

Cranberry Fig Scented Soap

Well, after my adventures with the cranberry fig scented soap for the Bramble Berry Soap swap yesterday, it was with some trepidation that i approached cutting my latest soap creation.  Not only was I unsure how my swirls would turn out, but I also have the added pressure of trying to make straight cuts for a soap that is going to be going out to people.  I might add to this that I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, so cutting straight with a butcher knife and no guide was not something that I had a lot of confidence in.

I did mark the soap off on both edges at that places where I needed to cut it to make the cuts a little neater, and, overall, it did not come out badly.  As I used a cardboard box that was eight inches across, I first had to cut the soap in half and I was actually pleased with how well that cut came out.  Then each half of the soap (eight inches long each) needed to be cut in one inch slabs.  As I said, it came out fairly well, and the soap should all come up to at least the 4 ounces that is required for the swap.

So, anyways, this is how the cut pictures of my newest soap turned out.

I will likely be working on my challenge soap a bit later this evening.  That is the one for the Soap Making Forum's monthly challenge.  The theme is "Locale," and I have my plans worked out for what I would like to do for the soap.  Now, it is just a matter of execution.  I should have some cut picks of the challenge soap tomorrow or Sunday (tomorrow may be a bit busy as I have some plans to go help a friend do some Spring barn cleaning).


  1. That looks pretty good. I can't cut a straight line at all, so awesome!

    1. I am glad I am not the only one! I try to take pictures so that you don't see how unevenly cut most of my soaps are >,> My soap cutter is in the mail though, so hopefully I will start having soaps that are cut a bit more evenly and with actual straight lines!