Well, I had an interesting soaping experience last night. I had a soap that did not speed up on me and was actually slow coming to trace. It was kind of weird having time to work with it. I was really in a groove and added the fragrance oil to the portion of the batter I wanted it in and it did not accelerate on me. I then added some black mica and it turned grey, so I added some activated charcoal as well. I had plenty of time to do all that and things were going great. I turned around to pour my soap in the mold to find out I had forgotten to line it.
I was able to remedy that situation quick enough, and got the mold lined. My soap was thickening as I poured it, but it was no worse then some of my others had been. I figured I would practice another mica swirl on the top and I was very happy with the way it worked. All things considered, everything came together really well and I was really looking forward to checking out my soap this morning.
The disappointment came when it was time to take it out of the mold and it was still a little warm and soft. I could not resist taking a peak to see how it looked and was disappointed to see that the black I had worked so hard to get had morphed into a drab olive green on the outside. This was not a feature to me. The inside of the soap seems to be a light gray at this point while the outside has remained olive green. Time will tell if it will stay that way.
Overall, I would say that it was still a successful soaping experience. I would like to know why this soap behaved so differently then my other soaps have. I used my usual recipe and soaped at the same temperature I usually do. I guess I may figure it out eventually, but for now it is a mystery to me. I may or may not be making another soap tonight. If not, I will definitely make one tomorrow.