Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Wonders of Vanilla

This morning I got up and did my normal check-ins on the Soap Making Forum (did I mention that I am addicted to this whole soap making thing?), and there was a review of some fragrance oils which got me to thinking that I should do a review of Peak Candle Supply's Birds of Paradise fragrance oil since there had not been any note of one on the spread sheet that the forum had for Peak's fragrances.  The scent had been rather flowery and sweet coming out of the bottle.  Not my usual fragrances, but I had bought the fragrance for my partner.

I had not noticed that the fragrance had caused ricing or acceleration in making the soap, but I had noticed that the fragrance seemed less noticeable after mixing it.  I wanted to check and see how my soap smelled after it had settled a bit and see how the scent seemed to me now so I went over to the bookshelf that serves as a curing rack (it shares the space with the books, of which there are many) and looked for my nice creamy colored soap.  I looked where I thought I had put it and then looked around and could not find my nice creamy colored soap anywhere.

I then looked back to where I had thought I had put it to find the dark brown soap that had not been there the night before.  It was then it dawned on me that my fragrance oil had vanilla in it  and it had discolored my soap to this dark brown.  So much for the creamy whiteness that I had been envisioning for my first salt bar.

Anyways, I wanted to post a picture of how the soap had morphed overnight and show how the wonders of vanilla can change a nice, innocent, creamy looking bar of soap and change it forever in just one night!


No comments:

Post a Comment